Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Walknut - Graveforests and Their Shadows

 
Genre: Atmospheric Black Metal
Country: Russia
Year: 2008
Label: Stellar Winter

I find it extremely difficult to review my all-time favourite albums. As I mentioned in my post on Manilla Road's "Gates of Fire", I feel like there's nothing I can say to really make sense of the way I feel about the music at hand, and that is definitely the case with Graveforests and Their Shadows. I will do my best, but the only way to truly grasp what Walknut is about is to buy a copy of the CD or vinyl and immerse yourself in it. There is simply no other album out there that creates an atmosphere the same way Graveforests does. The colossal, whirring wall of sound created by the guitars is absolutely megalithic, enveloping the listener in its world of vast solitude and loneliness for its entire length. Stringsskald's vocals are set low in the mix and sound like they are coming from a million miles away (and were apparently recorded in the woods), and Ravnaskrik's lyrics do a fantastic job of enhancing the mood of the music (though the only way to really understand what they are is to read the lyrics in the booklet). I really wish I could do a better job reviewing this, but I really can't put it into words. This album is far above and beyond most 'atmospheric' metal albums, and if you're a fan of black metal in general, this is one of those albums that you need to hear at least once before you die.

For fans of Drudkh, Burzum, and Hate Forest.

No comments:

Post a Comment