Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Desaster - A Touch of Medieval Darkness


Genre: Black/Thrash Metal
Country: Germany
Year: 1996
Label: Merciless Records

Desaster is an extremely cool German band that I don't hear getting talked about too often, which is a damn shame. They play an addictive brand of thrashing black metal that is at times more black and at times more thrash, but regardless of what kind of riffage they're tearing your face off with, you can rest assured it fucking slays. This is no-gimmicks metal, no keyboards, no female vocals, just riff after riff of kickass metal that makes no compromise and takes no prisoners. A Touch of Medieval Darkness is the band's first full-length, and I really love the titular dark medieval atmosphere they managed to saturate their sound with. This is the most 'black' and least 'thrash' of their albums, and as a result, it has the most pervasive atmosphere, which I really enjoy. Don't get me wrong, the pedal-to-the-metal black-thrashing assault of their later albums totally rules too, but part of me has a soft spot for the overall feeling and mood of A Touch of Medieval Darkness. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

For fans of Deströyer 666, Nocturnal, Aura Noir, and Usurper.


2 comments:

  1. holy jesus rape man, your music collection is phenomenal! im glad to have come across this site, you explain the albums so thoroughly instead of rating it on 1-5 or some shit like that. and the fact you offer similar artists makes it much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I'm glad you're enjoying it! I haven't updated in months (mainly thanks to school), but I would really like to start posting again. It's cool to hear feedback after spending so much time on all of this, haha! Much appreciated! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete