Monday, October 17, 2011

Bolt Thrower - Honour Valour Pride


Genre: Death Metal
Country: United Kingdom
Year: 2001
Label: Metal Blade Records

Big, chunky, muscular death metal from the UK is the order of the day. These Brits truly worship The Riff. That's what Bolt Thrower is all about. This isn't technical or 'brutal' stuff; rather, Bolt Thrower chooses to steamroll over your blasted corpse with the iron weight of a Leman Russ Demolisher. Every single song on this album has these huge, monstrous riffs that rumble like the thunder of gauss-cannon fire, absolutely annihilating everything in their path. Due to their being one of the most consistent and long-lived death metal bands kicking, it's tough to choose a favourite Bolt Thrower album, but Honour Valour Pride would definitely be a top contender were I forced to do so. I just love the pummeling feel to the entire ordeal, the music really feels like the killer Warhammer-themed Games Workshop cover artwork. These guys (and gal) are masters at their craft, and will always be one of the coolest death metal bands in existence. If you're looking for a heavier-than-lead death metal album that relies on mid-paced anvil-crushing riffs to deliver the mortal blow, look no further. Crushing.

For fans of Benediction, Runemagick, Unleashed, and Cianide.

3 comments:

  1. While not the biggest death metal fan, I am going to give this album a chance beacuse I trust your judgment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! :) I really think you'll dig it regardless. It's just a killer album no matter which way you slice it. I understand where you're coming from, death metal is one of the metal genres I turn to the least, but this album is one of the handful that I spin regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dark Lord Sez: this album is one of my favorite albums ever, and one of my favorite Chode Thrower albums. SOOOO much nice inside that cd.

    ReplyDelete