Saturday, May 29, 2010

Candlemass - Nightfall


Genre: Doom Metal
Country: Sweden
Year: 1987
Label: Active Records

Here is my favourite album by my favourite doom metal band. Yet another album that I will never be able to do justice to with words, so I'll keep this short and sweet as I'm sure many of you already own and adore this classic. Nightfall was Messiah Marcolin's debut with Candlemass, and he really took them to a new level. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love Epicus Doomicus Metallicus, and I think Johan Langquist did a fantastic job at the mic, but for me, it is the Messiah period that truly defines the band. His voice is simply one of the greatest that have ever graced a metal album, marking each track with its signature immaculate technique and entrancing charisma. As for the music itself, Nightfall is epic, dark, huge, and Heavy with a capital 'H'. This album will crush you flat with its leaden doom stomp, and some of Leif Edling's best riffs are immortalized here. Every single song on Nightfall is a masterwork, and it is absolutely essential to every metal fan's collection. See you at the gallow's end!

For fans of Ereb Altor, Solitude Aeternus, Reverend Bizarre, and Isole.

No comments:

Post a Comment